Having an effective SEO strategy is crucial for NDIS providers wanting to reach more clients online. Optimizing your NDIS website for search engines can help connect people with disability to your services and drive more visits to your site.
In this comprehensive NDIS SEO guide, we’ll walk through key steps for improving your NDIS website’s SEO in 2023, from performing keyword research to optimizing your content and technical elements. Follow this advice to boost your search engine rankings and be easily discoverable to people searching for NDIS services.
Perform Extensive Keyword Research
The foundation of any good SEO strategy is keyword research. You need to find out what relevant terms and phrases people are using to search for NDIS services like yours.
Start by brainstorming a list of keywords, thinking about the language your target audience uses when looking for NDIS providers online. You can refine this list by using free keyword research tools like Google’s Keyword Planner to see monthly search volumes for key terms.
Focus on more specific long-tail keywords, as these will be easier to rank for than highly competitive short phrases. For example “NDIS speech therapy Sydney” rather than just “NDIS”. Also be sure to include relevant local keywords for your location.
Once you have a comprehensive keyword list, pick out 10-20 priority terms and phrases that have high search volumes and are a good match for your services. These will be the focus for optimizing pages moving forward.
Optimise Page Titles and Meta Descriptions
The page title and meta description summarize what each page is about. To optimize these for SEO:
- Include your most important, relevant keywords in the page title – usually your service name and location. Keep page titles under 60 characters.
- Write unique, compelling meta descriptions of 155-160 characters that use your target keywords.
- Create title tags and meta descriptions for every page, not just your home and services pages.
Optimized title tags and meta descriptions help search engines understand your pages and can improve click-through rates from search results.
Upgrade Website Navigation
An intuitive, easy-to-use website navigation makes it simpler for visitors to find relevant content. Ensure people and search engines can easily navigate through your site architecture.
- Create clear main menus and submenus that use descriptive keywords.
- Structure your URLs in a logical hierarchy using keywords – e.g. “sydney-physiotherapy-ndis”
- Implement breadcrumb navigation trails to help users navigate deeper pages.
- Set up internal links between related content to establish site structure.
- Make sure pages don’t dead-end without navigation leading users elsewhere onsite.
Improving site architecture helps search engines crawl and index all of your important pages.
Publish Optimized Blog Content
Blogging provides fresh, keyword-rich content that search engines love. Focus your blog posts around your target NDIS keywords and answer common customer questions.
Some ideas include:
- “How NDIS Funding Works for Speech Therapy”
- “How to Choose the Right Disability Equipment Provider”
- “6 Benefits of Working with an NDIS Registered Therapist”
- “A Guide to NDIS Plan Management”
When writing posts:
- Incorporate target keywords naturally in headlines, content, URLs, alt text, etc.
- Optimize posts for local SEO by mentioning your city, suburb and region names.
- Include relevant internal links to related content across your website.
- Publish long-form posts of at least 2000+ words to provide value.
- Update with fresh content monthly to give search engines new pages.
An optimized blog helps search engines better understand your offerings and expertise.
Leverage Header Tags
Header tags (H1, H2, H3) help structure your content for SEO. Best practices include:
- Having one H1 tag on each page – usually your page title.
- Using keywords from your titles in H2 and H3 headers throughout content.
- Creating a hierarchical structure with multiple levels of subheadings using header tags.
- Avoid skipping header levels, like an H1 followed by H3 with no H2.
Proper header structure makes your pages more readable for users while emphasizing keywords to search engines.
Improve Site Speed
Fast page load times keep visitors happy while also being a positive search ranking factor. Test your website speed and optimize where needed:
- Compress large images and media files.
- Use a content delivery network (CDN) to cache and serve assets.
- Configure browser caching and compression.
- Upgrade to a faster web host if needed.
With a faster, more responsive site, people will stay and explore more pages. Quick load times also prevent high bounce rates that hurt SEO.
Optimize Images and Media
Images and videos on your website provide another opportunity to improve SEO. For every piece of visual content:
- Write detailed alt text using target keywords where relevant.
- Fill out title tags with concise descriptions.
- Include transcriptions or captions on videos.
- Set appropriate image dimensions for page layouts.
- Compress files sizes for faster loading.
Properly optimized visual elements make images rank in image search and help search bots better interpret multimedia content.
Enhance Technical SEO Elements
Some key technical elements on both the front and back end of your website also impact SEO. Ensure your site:
- Uses responsive mobile-friendly design.
- Has a sitemap XML file listing all pages.
- Implements breadcrumb structured data markup.
- Has well-written link anchor text using keywords.
- Uses semantic HTML tags like H1, H2 rather than just bolding text.
- Has a robots.txt file allowing bots to crawl.
- Implements SSL encryption.
Getting these technical SEO factors right improves website structure, security and performance.
Track Rankings and Analytics
The only way to know if your SEO efforts are working is by monitoring results:
- Use Google Search Console to track keyword rankings and optimize further.
- Review Google Analytics for traffic sources, top pages, conversions and other data.
- Set up conversion tracking to see ROI from organic search traffic.
- Compare rankings and traffic before and after making optimizations.
Continuously measuring results allows you to refine your approach and focus on what delivers the best results. SEO is never “one and done”.
Outsource Expert Help as Needed
If managing SEO seems overwhelming given your other responsibilities, don’t hesitate to get help. SEO agencies stay on top of constant algorithm changes and best practices.
A knowledgeable SEO specialist can audit your site, identify high-impact areas to focus on, and implement ongoing optimization based on the latest developments. This lifts the SEO burden off your shoulders so you can focus on your core business.
Consistency is Key for SEO Success
With Google processing over 3.5 billion searches daily, SEO is crucial for NDIS providers to connect with people looking for your services online. By following the steps in this guide, you can significantly boost your website’s search visibility and traffic.
Just remember SEO is an ongoing process requiring continual tweaking and refinement. Focus on long-term consistency with your optimization efforts, and you will see results in your search rankings, traffic and number of service inquiries.